Travel stories, photos, climbing and trekking adventures in the Himalaya and Karakoram mountains. Plus stuff like news and politics. Things that matter if you spend time in the Himalayan countries - Nepal, India, Tibet and Pakistan. We mix genres that others won't.
Our Ascent Book aims to be the most comprehensive record on the web of recent climbs in the Himalaya, Karakoram and Hindu Kush mountains.
Browse our mountaineering database
Avalanche on Everest
16 people were killed when an avalanche swept the approach to Everest through the Khumbu icefall on 17 April. All of them were local people - mostly Sherpas - working to prepare the route up the mountain.
Interview with Simone Morro
On the Blog...
- 12 May 2014 Writer Peter Matthiessen died on 5 April 2014. Many people know him best for his account of a journey in Nepal, published as The Snow Leopard. But he was also a novelist of sweeping accomplishment and ambition, and a courageous friend of the Native American people.
- 23 April 2014 The Piolets D'Or have been awarded this year to Raphael Slawinsky and Ian Welsted for their ascent of K6 West, and to Ueli Steck for his solo ascent of the South face of Annapurna.
- 6 September 2013 270,000 British nationals visit Pakistan each year. But the British government is now advising against travel to large parts of Pakistan. Is it xenophobic to talk about the hazards of travel in Pakistan?
- 22 August 2013 In August 2013 Roger Schaeli and Robert Jasper made the 1st free ascent of the Ghillini-Piola Direttissima on the Eiger; then Calum Muskett and Scottish climber Dave Macleod made a free ascent of the nearby climb Paciencia. It's 75 years since the 1st ascent of the north face of the Eiger.
- 31 July 2013 11 people, 10 of them foreign climbers, were murdered at Nanga Parbat Base Camp in Pakistan in June. The massacre, said to be in response to US drone strikes, was part of a wave of atrocities carried out across Pakistan.
Travelogue - travels through the Indian Himalaya from Kumaon and Garhwal to Ladakh
Tungnath is the place where Shiva’s arms emerged from the earth after his underground flight from the Pandava brothers. It's the highest temple in India, standing 3680m above sea level on the mountain ridge dividing the Alaknanda River from the Mandakini.
The simplest reason to trek through mountains is to get to the other side. My journeys were directed at no such thing. India’s western Himalaya stretch from the Indus to the Nepalese border - a distance of perhaps 750 kilometres as the crow flies. I wanted to travel along the ranges, staying as close to the high peaks as I could.
December 1992. One after another, the domes of the Babri Masjid came tumbling down. Muslim homes near to the mosque began to burn. And then the riots began, all over India.
Photos of Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand (formerly called Uttaranchal), including the Kumaon and Garhwal Himalaya.